Nintendo always knows just what to say – after unofficial Pokemon TCG store was robbed of $100,000 at gunpoint, the publisher reached out with copyright "concerns"
424
Scott McCrae
2026-02-18
Contact me with news and offers from other Future brands
Receive email from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors
By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.
Contact me with news and offers from other Future brands
Receive email from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors
By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
A Pokemon TCG store that was the victim of an armed robbery is now changing its name following Nintendo apparently getting in contact.
Last month The Poke Court – a Pokemon Card store in Manhattan, New York – was robbed at gunpoint during its very first community evening event. An employee told ABC7 Eyewitness News that in the three-minutes that the robbery took place, the suspects had stolen over $100,000 worth of merchandise from the store. As the Pokemon TCG craze has had a resurgence over the last few years, with cards selling for huge amounts of money, robberies of stores have become more common, with multiple reportedly happening over all corners of the US in 2026 alone.
Unfortunately, the store's string of bad luck has continued, as it has now had to rebrand itself almost exactly a month later. It now goes by The Trainer Court, with the Poke Ball removed from its logo.
As Palworld fails to escape Pokemon comparisons following card game announcement, one dev agrees some are being dramatic
Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aimé had to deal with retailers "upset" there weren't enough copies of Pokemon in his first week
"Wiimote was bad. You can't say Wiimote": Nintendo's legal team made it drop "Nindies" label, former staff say, because it and similar phrases "dilutes the brand"
A post on the store's website (via TheGamer) says: "First, thank you to everyone for the insane support we've seen, both near and far, in the less than two years we've been open." The team then explains, "The short story is that Nintendo reached out to us with concerns about our name and logo. As we also have some new and exciting things planned for this year, we've decided to take this opportunity to evolve!"
While The Trainer Court staff don't mention the robbery in this post, it feels somewhat likely that the incident put the store on Nintendo's radar, given how the company contacted them so soon after the incident. However, the team seems thankfully unphased by with what it's been through, with the post mentioning plans for more community events, tournaments, and even something special for Pokemon Day later this month.
sleepyCloud
Feb 18, 08:22 PM
bet I don't regret buying this. This or that?
Recent Articles