Former Street Fighter and Mega Man producer spends $500,000 "per account" on his own game to "make sure the biggest spenders don't feel dissatisfied"
468
George Young
2026-02-19
Contact me with news and offers from other Future brands
Receive email from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors
By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.
Contact me with news and offers from other Future brands
Receive email from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors
By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
A former Capcom veteran who worked on classic games in the Street Fighter, Mega Man, The Legend of Zelda, and Resident Evil series, Yoshiki Okamoto, admits to spending "¥80 million" or approximately $500,000 "per account" on his own game, in order to get a better understanding of its "biggest spenders."
In an interview that was originally aired on Fuji TV, before being reported on by Sponichi Annex (thanks, Automation), Okamoto justifies his outrageous spending habit on his own game, particularly given that he could just add in-game currency to his accounts via administrator privileges.
After leaving Capcom, Okamoto suffered huge losses when his partner studio closed down, leaving his company in deep debt. Fates changed with the launch of its free-to-play gacha game, Monster Strike, in 2013, which has more than 65 million players as of last year.
Oops, Arknights Endfield accidentally charged 1,800 players $80,000 in Paypal disaster before the devs could stop it
Former Square Enix exec says that's nothing new as major investor calls out the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest creator for high development costs and lackluster sales
"GTA 3 cost like $5 million": Ex-TLoU Part 2: Remastered artist says the industry is becoming "less risky and creative"
管理者権限ってのが世の中にあるんかどうか知らんけど、それならユーザーの気持ちを理解するんが難しいと思うんですFebruary 15, 2026
管理者権限ってのが世の中にあるんかどうか知らんけど、それならユーザーの気持ちを理解するんが難しいと思うんですFebruary 15, 2026
管理者権限ってのが世の中にあるんかどうか知らんけど、それならユーザーの気持ちを理解するんが難しいと思うんですFebruary 15, 2026
On Twitter, under a post about the interview, one Japanese user suggests that Okamoto could give himself the in-game currency via the backend. However, he believes this wouldn't give him the same insight. "I know there are administrator privileges," Okamoto writes. "But [if I used them] it would be difficult to understand the users' feelings."
The fact that he has enough money to spend millions on his own game means he must be doing something right.
Resident Evil and Street Fighter veteran faces backlash after saying "please don't buy" Palworld, claiming Pocketpair "crossed a line that should not be crossed," and admitting he has not played Palworld
Recent Articles